Protec Gas Services is open and transparent providing quality workmanship to the highest standards. In providing this service to you we have listed some important points, and answers to frequently asked questions for your information below.
- Covid-19 safety (see covid-19 section below)
- Please provide a clear work area. Enough area for tool boxes and for the heater to be dismantled. (A minimum of 3×3 meter clear area.)
- Please maintain a safe work environment.
- No pets in work area please.
- Please consider parking & access
- Please open blinds or turn on lights if possible so as to provide adequate lighting for the technician.
- Please inform workers of any known hazards(e.g. any known faulty electrical equipment)
- Please cooperate with workers to ensure safe work procedures and a safe work environment (e.g. move furniture to allow adequate work space based on assessed needs)
- Please advise the technician of any in-home safety devices and their location (e.g. any isolation, safety switches and switchboards)
- Please make sure the heater is cold and not run prior to the technician arriving.
While health officials recommend members of the community should be confident to go about their day-to-day activities, we are monitoring the developing situation around the spread of COVID-19. We can assure you that our staff are fully vaccinated and follow the health and safety precautions as advised by the department of health, and we are implementing rigorous sanitising and disinfecting of our workspaces. Good health and safety is extremely important to us. We please ask our customers to help us by practicing their own individual best practices by considering the health and well being of our staff. Thank you for your support and we look forward to your help implementing the following recommended measures.
- The use of facemasks indoors when feeling unwell or 2 meters distance cannot be maintained. If you don’t have a mask we can provide one for you.
- Limiting contact exposure to one person per household at a time in the same room as the technician.
- We also recommend the regular use of hand disinfectant and to use contactless exchanges where possible.
Should any staff, customers or anyone in the house being attended tested positive for covid19 or there is anything preventing you from following these guidelines please contact our office staff on 83537912 and bookings can be rescheduled for a later date.
Please no pets in work area as it is usually safer to place your pets in another area for a short time while the technician is onsite for their safety. There may be sharp edges on dismantled heaters that could cause injury to your pet and pets can sometimes inadvertently get underfoot or hinder the technician in working quickly and safely.
Payment is to be made on completion to the technician onsite.
Payment can be made by cash, electronic funds transfer or credit card*. Residential metropolitan rates for gas technician servicing, testing, diagnostics and fault identification is $179.00 for up to the first half hour onsite. Further labour rates after the first half hour are to be charged at $45.00 for every quarter hour or part thereof. If your area is classified as regional, charges may vary. These charges can be confirmed by contacting the office staff and will be set prior to booking. *Additional fees may be charged for AMEX or International Credit cards which Protec gas services has no control over. These fees range from 1.2-5.0% so check at point of sale for call the office to check if your card has additional fees attached. Please note: No additional fees are charged for Visa, Mastercard, Bankcard, Direct Debit, EFT.
While many consider the home to be a place of safety and comfort, there are a wide range of risks involved for those working in a home environment and we all have an obligation under the Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995 to provide a healthy and safe workplace for workers in the workplace including in private homes.
24 hours notice is required for any changes to booking time/s. Changes can be made by SMS or telephone 08 83537912. Should 24 hours notice not be received call out charges will apply.
A Standard gas heater service schedule checklist:
- Gas heater working condition.
- External condition checked and documented.
- Internal condition checked and documented.
- Previous service history and age?
- Control panel tested, checked and documented.
- Remote controls tested, checked and documented.
- Electronic timer controls tested, checked and documented.
- Electronic ignition controls tested, checked and documented.
- Peizo ignition tested, checked and documented.
- High temperature leads tested, checked and documented.
- Manual ignition tested, checked and documented.
- Electrode/s tested, checked and documented.
- Micro switch/s tested, checked and documented.
- Electronic control module/s tested, checked and documented.
- Thermocouple/s tested, checked and documented.
- Thermopile/s tested, checked and documented.
- Flame sensor/s tested, checked and documented.
- Thermistor/s tested, checked and documented.
- Thermostat/s tested, checked and documented.
- Bypass flame tested, checked and documented.
- Flame modulation tested, checked and documented.
- Gas control valve tested, checked and documented.
- Inlet gas pressure tested, checked and documented.
- Operational gas pressure tested, checked and documented.
- Pilot injector and air mixing ports tested, checked and documented.
- Main burner tested, checked and documented.
- Main burner injector and air mixing ports tested, checked and documented.
- Fan thermal/timer control tested, checked and documented.
- Secondary fun control switch/s tested, checked and documented.
- Circulation fan/s tested, checked and documented.
- Fan speed adjustment tested, checked and documented.
- Combustion fan/s tested, checked and documented.
- Over temperature safety device/s and switch/s tested, checked and documented.
- Capacitor/s tested, checked and documented.
- Gas solenoid/s tested, checked and documented.
- Air pressure switch/s tested, checked and documented.
- Log/s and coals checked and documented.
- Filter/s tested, checked and documented.
- Air outlet/diverters tested, checked and documented.
- Glass and glass seal condition tested, checked and documented.
- Safety grill/s tested, checked and documented.
- Room pre, operational and post negative pressure tested, checked and documented.
- Flue operational condition tested, checked and documented.
- Flu external visual inspection and documented.
- Combustible gas leakage tested, checked and documented.
- Carbon monoxide spillage tested, checked and documented.
- Operational audible tolerances tested, checked and documented.
- External temperature safety tested, checked and documented.
- Appliance power supply tested, checked and documented.
- Ignition, run and shutdown sequence tested, checked and documented.
Gas heaters require regular servicing on a 1-2 year basis. Most manufacturers require that their heaters be serviced annually.
Most gas heaters when serviced regularly, and as the manufacture recommends, only require a Standard Service including safety checks to maintain safe and efficient operation.
A STANDARD gas heater service comprises of specific tests and checks set out by manufactures and in Australian Standards (which take 1/2 – 3/4 hr) to to ensure important safety points are covered and possible faults are identified early to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the heater.
Extended gas heater servicing/repairs includes additional points beyond a standard service. These points may include further investigation, inspection, testing, clearing of debris, blockages, adjustments and replacement of faulty or worn components.
- Communicate and understand what services are to be provided
- Conduct a 5 point risk assessment
- If the assessment shows that workers are exposed to significant risks, service providers will determine whether they need to modify or suspend that particular service until the risk has been adequately controlled.
- Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) and be trained in its use
- Assess additional services before being performed
- Review an activity that may have changed to ensure the controls are still working or need to be altered
- Document the daily monitoring of the service
Most manufacturers recommend for their gas heaters to be serviced either on a 1 or 2 yearly basis. Our service technicians can recommend a service schedule for your gas heater based on manufacturers requirements and our years of experience. If you have not had your gas heater serviced for many years it is recommended to get it checked firstly for safety and also on many occasions we can pick up a minor problem during a service that can avoid an expensive fix when something break down causing faults on other components.
Quite often there are minor faults that can be identified and rectified during a Standard Service schedule of your gas heater which can avoid expensive repairs. Should your gas heater require repairs our fully equipped vans carry a large range of gas spare parts to get your heater up and going again.
Laboratory testing suggests that all gas heaters can produce potentially hazardous levels of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide poisoning typically occurs from breathing in too much carbon monoxide (CO). Symptoms are often described as “flu-like” and commonly include headache, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Large exposures can result in loss of consciousness, arrhythmias, seizures, or death.
It is critical that your appliance is checked and recorded by a licensed gas fitter for combustion product spillage every 2 years, (or earlier if recommended by manufacturer) after servicing or repairs, or after alterations to the building that may negatively impact the building’s ventilation, including the installation of exhaust fans.
Warranty is valid in country of purchase only. This warranty is given by Protec Gas Services. Spare parts is warranted by the Company to be free from defects for a period of 180 days from the date of purchase. Workmanship is warranted for a period of 365 days. The benefits offered by this warranty are in addition to your rights and remedies under Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods failure does not amount to major failure, the Company reserves the right to choose to repair or replace the part.
To make a warranty claim, you must be able to supply proof of purchase. In the first instance, you should call customer care on 08 83537912. The Company will create and retain a computer record of your application.
Protec Gas is responsible for reasonable costs associated with legitimate warranty claims, including call-out of an authorised Protec Gas service provider to inspect the faulty product.
Protec Gas is not responsible for:
(a) costs for tradespeople that are not authorised Protec Gas service providers; or
(b) any costs, including call-out costs for an authorised Protec Gas service provider, associated with a product which is determined upon inspection not to be covered by this warranty.
1. This warranty applies to products which are manufactured on or after the date of publication of this warranty but before the next date of publication of this warranty.
2. For heaters components: All terms of this warranty are effective from date of completion of installation. The attending service person reserves the right to verify this date by requesting a proof of purchase or a copy of the certificate of compliance prior to the commencement of any warranty work.
3. All Protec Gas heating components must be installed, commissioned, serviced, repaired and removed in accordance with the manufacturers installation instructions, current AS 3000, AS 3500 and AS 5601, local regulations and municipal building codes by persons authorised by local regulations to do so.
4. All appliances must be operated and maintained in accordance with manufacturer’s operating instructions.
5. Any inspection, service, repair or replacement activities associated with warranty on Protec Gas products must be authorised by Protec Gas Services before commencement.
6. The warranty applies only to the components supplied by Protec Gas. It does not apply to components supplied by others, such as, isolating valves, electrical switches, pipe work, electrical cables, fuses and where applicable, flue systems supplied by others, but not limited to these.
7. Where the appliance has not been sited in accordance with the installation instructions or installed such that normal service access is difficult, a service charge will apply. If at the discretion of the attending service person, access is deemed dangerous service will be refused. Any work required to gain reasonable access to the appliance will be chargeable by the attending service person (for example, removal of cupboards, doors, walls, or the use of special equipment to move components to floor level, but not limited to these).
8. Where a failed component is replaced under warranty, the balance of the original appliance warranty will remain effective. The replacement part or appliance does not carry a new warranty.
9. Protec Gas reserve the right to transfer functional components from defective appliances if they are suitable.
10. Protec Gas reserve the right to have the installed product returned to the factory for inspection.
No warranties except those implied and that by law cannot be excluded are given by Protec Gas in respect of Goods supplied. Where it is lawful to do so, the liability of Protec Gas for a breach of a condition or warranty is limited to the repair or replacement of the Goods, the supply of equivalent Goods, the payment of the cost of repairing or replacing the Goods or acquiring equivalent Goods as determined by Protec Gas.
The following exclusions may cause the warranty to become void and will result in a service charge and costs of parts (if required):
1. Accidental damage and acts of God.
2. Failure due to abuse or misuse, improper maintenance, failure to maintain or improper storage.
3. Failure due to incorrect or unauthorised installations.
4. Appliances not operated and maintained in accordance with manufacturer’s operating instructions.
5. Failure or damage caused by alterations, service or repair work carried out by persons other than Protec Gas service persons or service agents.
6. Where it is found that there is no fault with the appliance and the issue is related to the installation or is due to the failure of electric or gas supplies.
Should there not be the answers to your questions above please contact our office staff during business hours on 08 83537912. Alternately you can email your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org